Arroz con Pollo

Posted on | November 14, 2009 | 10 Comments

arroz_con_pollo

Today I cooked arroz con pollo for my guys – that’s rice with chicken. It’s a staple of pretty much every Latin American country, although they’ve all got their own special take on it.

In Peru cooking style, it’s sometimes called ‘arroz verde’ or green rice, because it contains a LOT of cilantro (also called coriander). It’s usually served with papas a la huancaina, and often an avocado salad.

Here’s how I make my arroz con pollo.

4 chicken thighs (or 2 legs, 2 thighs)
3 cups of rice vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of aji amarillo (yellow chili pepper – check your Latin market) finely chopped in the blender or food processor
1 cup of cilantro/coriander – liquefied (see the recipe for seco de pollo for directions on doing this)
2 large handfuls of green pea pods – shell them, and use the peas, not the pods!
About a half a cup of carrot cut up into cubes  (You can substitute a can of peas and carrots for the veggies)
2-1/2 cups of chicken stock/bouillon.
1/2 cup of beer
Salt and pepper

Put about 1/2 cup of oil in a dutch oven or stew pan.
Salt and pepper your chicken thighs, then brown them in the oil.
Remove them from the pan, and then add the onion, garlic, cilantro and aji. Stir it around a bit until the onion starts to turn golden and translucent.
Add the chicken back in and pour in the beer.
Let it cook until the chicken is cooked through. Take the chicken back out and set it aside covered where it will stay warm – in a very low temperature oven or on the back of your range top is good.
Put the rice, shelled peas, carrot and chicken stock into the mix.
Add salt and pepper as necessary here, then cover tightly to cook the rice.

Serve the rice together with the chicken.

Ok – now for the truth – I can NEVER cook rice right on the stove top, so I do my chicken on the stove top, then throw everything into the rice cooker at the end and let it all cook together there. It comes out perfect every time. If you are opposed to cooking with beer, just replace it with chicken stock.

If you’re short on time, don’t feel bad about using a small can of peas and carrots instead of fresh.

For more Peruviness, (that’s like grooviness, only Peruvian) throw in a handful or two of Andean corn kernals (choclo) if you can find it – if not, regular corn will do.

You might also want to add a little bit of thinly sliced red bell pepper. I don’t because everyone in my house just picks it out – but if you look around on the internet, you’ll find that a lot of recipes and pictures show it.

And finally – if you want to take a REAL short cut, try this – Provenzal Arroz Con Pollo Chicken and Rice Stew-soup Base 2.04 Oz.  I’ve used it often because it makes cooking quick and easy. Just add it to your rice, throw in the veggies, and you’re ready to go.  I’ve also added a spoonful of the mix to my regular chicken soup and it makes it taste very ‘Peruvian’ – my father in law said it was the best chicken soup he’d ever had. (We didn’t tell him my secret!)

Provecho!

small_sig
recipe-vcta-final
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

10 Responses to “Arroz con Pollo”

1. Anonymous
    November 15th, 2009 @ 05:47

Kelly,
    I am enjoying your blog and your recipes!
    sonia

November 15th, 2009 @ 11:14

Thanks, Sonia! I appreciate it :)

3. Anonymous
    November 15th, 2009 @ 18:30

Hi Kelly..Another great receipe,i enjoy having a look see in your blog too i get excited when you have written something new .you are a delight Kelly pure joy, having you here in Lima is like having a friend,Hope to meet you 1 day..Merry Christmas to you and your family
    Roslyn

November 16th, 2009 @ 00:02

Awww! Thanks so much – I can't tell you how much that means to me :)

5. Jean-François de Buren
    March 2nd, 2010 @ 18:25

Great blog! I have just started to explore. Look forward to reading the rest of your posts.

Regards, Jean-François

6. Project EHC: Mama Mendoza’s Arroz con Pollo « Food 4 Fitness
    September 15th, 2010 @ 20:21

[...] helped me out when I was debating whether to use brown rice or not (and Lizzie too!). Check out her Arroz con Pollo recipe. Her version also features  a side of Papa a la Huancaina (potatoes in yellow cheese [...]

7. Theresa @DearCreatives
    October 25th, 2013 @ 13:30

Your recipe looks amazing! I’d love to make it sometime.
    Theresa @DearCreatives´s last blog post ..#Craft Party Time Inspiration Spotlight #LinkUp 64 #Recipes #Diy #Decor & More

October 25th, 2013 @ 14:05

Thanks – It’s super good, way better than plain ol’ rice :)

9. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry!
    October 25th, 2013 @ 15:12

As soon as I saw that there was a lot of cilantro, I was sold! I LOVE cilantro! Totally trying this, it looks delicious! Pinning!
    Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry!´s last blog post ..Steak and Blue Cheese Pizza

October 25th, 2013 @ 20:11

Oh you’d LOVE Peruvian food then – cilantro is a major ingredient in many dishes.