Apple and Quinoa Drink

Posted on | February 22, 2010 | 8 Comments

MANZANAImage by PONCE 2007 via Flickr

While in the US we tend to drink soft drinks like koolaid and sodas and ice tea during the warm months, in Peru it’s much more common to drink ‘aguitas’ – drinks made from fruit juice, water and sugar. Lemonade is a common aguita, as is orange-ade. I use the juice of four oranges in a two liter pitcher, then add sugar to taste. I’m trying to wean my guys off of putting as much sugar in it; they like it the way ‘abuela’ makes it, which is almost syrupy sweet to me.

But one of our very favorites is aguita de manzana, made with apples. It’s a delicious and refreshing drink when served cold. But it’s made with cinnamon and cloves, which gives it a super homey and warming flavor when served warm in winter, too. I originally made it just with apples, but later found this recipe on the internet and had to try it. It’s a wonderful breakfast drink, served hot or cold depending on the weather – gives kids lots of healthy stuff and energy to get through the morning at school.

Apple and Quinoa Drink

* 1 litro de agua. (1 liter of water)
* ½ taza de quinua. (1/2 cup quinua)
* 2 manzanas cortadas en cuartos. (2 apples, cut into quarters)
* 2 membrillos. (2 quince fruit)
* ¼ taza de kiwicha. (1/4 cup of kiwicha)
* 1 ramita de canela y 2 clavos de olor. (1 cinnamon stick and 2 cloves)

Preparación:
Boil everything together for 20 minutes.
Let it cool.
Liquify in the blender, strain and serve.

This is also a really good drink to serve to someone having stomach problems (diarrhea). Cinnamon has been shown to help reduce harmful bacteria in the stomach and intestines, and membrillo (quince) is also believed to help alleviate stomach problems. Of course, in Peru, if you’re serving this for stomach problems, you should only serve it warm – never serve cold drinks to someone with a stomach ache!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

8 Responses to “Apple and Quinoa Drink”

1. Maureen McCabe
    April 7th, 2011 @ 04:23

What is kiwicha? I wonder if we are able to find kiwicha or quince fruit in the US.

I heard about breakfast drinks made from quinoa and Googled for a recipe.
    Maureen McCabe´s last blog post ..Central Ohio Home Prices… remain calm

2. Maureen McCabe
    April 7th, 2011 @ 04:29

Kiwicha = amaranth
    Maureen McCabe´s last blog post ..Central Ohio Home Prices… remain calm

April 7th, 2011 @ 07:02

Yes, kiwicha is amaranth, and you should be able to find it in the US, I would think at most “natural” markets or at a Latin market. Quince fruit is called “membrillo” in Spanish, and it should be available in the US also. If you can’t find it, you can just add a little extra apple to take its place.

4. Jenn
    June 4th, 2011 @ 15:00

Hi, so glad to find your site!!! I’d like to make this soon but had a few questions. I’m on a budget and can only use what’s readily available in the pantry. Will it taste okay to simply not use Kiwicha, Quince, and cloves? Is there anything easy that I can substiute instead of these? Like Apple Cider vinegar? Vanilla extract? Nutmeg? Would appreciate your advice regarding the flavor substitute. Also, do you let it cool in the refrigerator? If so, for how long? Do you need to peel the apple? Thank you for your help.

June 4th, 2011 @ 15:12

Hi Jenn –
    You can substitute oatmeal for the Quinua or the kiwicha. You don’t have to use quince, just pop in another apple or two instead.

The cloves add a great taste, but they aren’t strictly necessary – you can feel free to leave them out. You don’t need to peel the apples, but you can core them to make it a little easier to strain.

We usually drink it warm in the mornings for breakfast, but you can make a thinner version that’s a very refreshing cold drink, too.

6. Jenn
    June 4th, 2011 @ 20:01

Hi Kelly, thanks for the quick response. I’ll try this out this week and let you know how it was. I have Quinoa, that’s not the prob. I’ll add another apple instead of quince, and I’ll try out nutmeg instead of the cloves. Hope you feel better soon.

7. Corky
    August 12th, 2011 @ 09:53

That sounds amazing! Thank you so much for a new idea!! I can not wait to try it during this HOT summer we are having. :)

8. Victor Manuel
    November 10th, 2011 @ 12:18

Do you know that agua de manzana is called agua de locos in Peru?. Maybe it was a remedio casero or someone for fun spread the rumour that agua de manzana has properties to heal the people who have mental problems.
    Victor Manuel´s last blog post ..Episode 19