Kitchen Update!

Posted on | April 7, 2010 | 9 Comments

The kitchen is finally done! And I’ve got pictures to prove it. ;D

First of all, take a look at the horror that was the kitchen when we first moved in:

Orange Kitchen Hell

Orange Kitchen Hell

Orange Kitchen hell

Excuse the mess – that was moving in day, last year.

Now, this is a rented house, but in Lima (usually) when you rent, you’re responsible for repairs, care and uptake.  So, not only were we allowed to paint the kitchen, why, it was practically required!  Yay!  Plus, the construction site next door caused some hairline fractures in the walls, so they repaired that and then painted the whole kitchen for us, so we were already off to a good start.

Finally, Mom got here, and put the finishing touches over the last couple weeks – and here’s the wonderful results:

We even have video!  Ignore me babbling on in the background – I didn’t know mom was recording.  *oops*

In other news, the cute little stove you see in the pictures has decided it doesn’t want to cook anymore.  Dinner tonight will be a challenge, using only the oven and a rice cooker to make a complete meal – hooray for the steamer tray in the rice pot!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

9 Responses to “Kitchen Update!”

1. Expat Mom
    April 8th, 2010 @ 10:04

Love the new colors, they really transform the kitchen into a brighter place!
    .-= Expat Mom´s last blog ..Easter =-.

April 8th, 2010 @ 11:26

Thanks! It needed bright color – all the white in there made it look kind of like a morgue :S

3. Miss Footloose
    April 8th, 2010 @ 13:17

Kelly, having had many expat kitchens around the world, I know of the challenges! Your Peruvian kitchen looks very cheery now, better than most I’ve had for sure. I’m all for cheery.

I have a story about a non-functioning oven/stove in my house in Ghana, West Africa you might find amusing. Here it is:

Enjoy your kitchen time!
    .-= Miss Footloose´s last blog ..EXPAT FUN AND GAMES =-.

April 8th, 2010 @ 14:46

Funny you’d link that… I’ve got the repairman here right now!

5. Miss Footloose
    April 8th, 2010 @ 15:04

Sorry, I gave you the link in the wrong story, although I sincerely hope that the repairman in the right story is not the one you have right there now. You’ll be in big trouble. ;)

.-= Miss Footloose´s last blog ..EXPAT FUN AND GAMES =-.

April 9th, 2010 @ 08:14

lol! No, I ended up with a great repairman, and my stove is now working perfectly :D

7. Marco Hergenreter
    April 14th, 2010 @ 17:13

I’m delighted! It’s refreshing to see someone very chuffed about what they do. Keep up the great work and I’ll return for more! Cheers!

8. Mammalu
    April 22nd, 2010 @ 15:51

What a great kitchen, Kelly! A very happy and bright place! Next time in Lima, I will invite myself for some coffee!

I semi remodeled my kitchen last year and it was hard… I can appreciate what you did.
    Great work! Congratulations!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 23:43

You have an open invitation. :)