Lomo Saltado

Posted on | May 18, 2010 | 33 Comments

Lomo saltado
Image by canelita0306 via Flickr

When I first met my husband, he lived in Nassau, Bahamas,  and I was flying back and forth from Florida visiting him.  I didn’t know anything about Peruvian cooking, but decided I’d try to impress him with a Peruvian dish, and I picked lomo saltado, as it was one of the few recipes I could find that I understood most of the ingredients to.

So, I show up in Nassau, buy the ingredients, and start cooking this meal – with no idea of what I’m really doing.  The recipe that I was following wasn’t really exact about things, and I never tend to follow recipes too well anyway.  What I made wasn’t really lomo saltado, but it did taste really good.

So… I serve the food up to my husband and his nephew, and they raved about it.  They kept saying “What is this?  It reminds me of lomo saltado! What do you call it?”

I was too embarrassed to tell them that it was actually supposed to be lomo saltado, and just said it was a little something I’d thrown together.

Since then, I’ve seen and tasted many different versions of lomo saltado (and confessed to my husband about my original first attempt!) and have learned to cook it pretty well.  One thing about it is that everyone has their own little ways of doing it – this is how I do it.

*One tip – prepare and cut up everything BEFORE you start cooking, once you get going, it moves pretty fast!

• 1 lb (or 1/2 kilo) of beef tenderloin or stir-fry beef, cut into small pieces
  • 2 red onions, cut in thin strips lengthwise
  • 3 tomatoes, sliced into bite size pieces and deseeded
  • 1 lbs (or 1/2 kilo) of potatoes, peeled and sliced into french fries
  • 2 aji amarillo (optional, but recommended), deseeded and sliced in strips
  • a tablespoon or two of cilantro, coarsely chopped
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (regular vinegar will do in a pinch)
  • 2 tbsps of soy sauce (I usually end up using more, but that’s a good starting point)
  • oil for frying – I use soy bean oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

1)  Fry the potatoes like regular french fries, season with salt/pepper to taste. Remove.

2) Stir-fry the beef over high heat in a large saute pan or wok  for about 2 minutes.

3) Add the onions to the pan, stir fry for one minute, then add the tomatoes, 1 tbsp cilantro, the aji (if desired), vinegar, and soy sauce.  Stir fry together until the tomatoes start to soften.

Serving:  Place a serving of rice on the plate, and a serving of potatoes beside it, with a serving of lomo on the top of the potatoes. If you like, sprinkle with a little extra cilantro, or parsley.

It’s also perfectly acceptable to cook the potatoes and lomo all together, then serve it on top of the rice, like in the picture above.

You can also substitute chicken for the beef – that’s the way they serve it at a lot of Chinese restaurants here.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

33 Responses to “Lomo Saltado”

1. Maria
    May 19th, 2010 @ 19:47

Kelly! LOMO SALTADO RULES!
    LOL. You know how much I love Lomo Saltado! Your story about cooking it for the first time for your husband was so sweet!

Maria

May 19th, 2010 @ 20:10

It was hilarious – it came out more like hashbrowns with meat and tomatoes mixed in *blush!* I do much better now ;)

3. Kathleen O'Connor
    May 22nd, 2010 @ 15:29

Mmm, this looks good. I have never been to Peru, so I didn’t what this was till recently. I had to write a blog post about food trucks, and I found a place called Lomo Arigato that makes this stuff in LA.

That is a cute story, lol. It’s hard to make a native dish taste right to a native. But it looks like you’ve perfected it!
    .-= Kathleen O’Connor´s last blog ..Friday Link Lounge – May 21, 2010 =-.

May 22nd, 2010 @ 18:56

That is the cutest name for a restaurant! And a perfect fit, since it’s a Japanese/Peruvian fusion food. I love clever names like that.

5. Songs From The Andes – $3.99 « MP3 Planet Daily Deals
    August 8th, 2010 @ 08:42

[...] you buy this album, go ahead and invite some friends over dinner and prepare Lomo Saltado while listenting to Songs From The Andes. Amazon.com [...]

6. Kent
    August 8th, 2010 @ 10:19

I spent almost two years in Peru and Lomo Saltado is my favorite dish… Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    Kent´s last blog post ..Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon – 399

August 8th, 2010 @ 16:21

No problem – hope you get to cook it soon.

8. Sara M
    January 10th, 2011 @ 08:42

My Mother in Law’s fave dish from Peru is Lomo saltado and you have the recipe exactly like we most peruvians know it!! I bet yours is delicious!!! :) Greetings from Hagerstown ,Maryland from a peruvian!

January 10th, 2011 @ 13:46

I’m so glad to hear that! I start out with recipes, and then kind of adjust it to the way I like it – so I’m happy to hear that it’s pretty authentic. Thanks for stopping by. :)

10. Peruvian Food: A Culinary Visual Tour | SpanglishBaby™
    March 13th, 2011 @ 04:29

[...] many people, Peruvian food is the equivalent of ceviche, papa a la Huncaina and lomo saltado, but there is so much more to the cuisine of my country. Besides the influences it has from other [...]

11. maria (not the maria above, lol)
    September 6th, 2011 @ 14:32

thank you for posting this recipe! When I was a teen my friend’s mom used to make this dish and I loved it!

I am making it tonight! :)

September 6th, 2011 @ 14:53

My pleasure – hope it comes out tasting as good as you remember it!

13. Darla
    September 22nd, 2011 @ 08:44

Nice and interesting to know about your first experience of cooking for your husband. I am greatly interested in trying various recipes and Lomo Salado seems to tempt me. I haven’t tried it yet. I think I will follow you recipe.

I had the same experience of cooking a delicious dish wherein I forgot to include one essential ingredient and that dish turned out to be different than what I intended to. Anyway, it is fun to experiment on your dear ones, especially on your spouse.

Thanks,
    Darla

September 22nd, 2011 @ 09:57

Sometimes making it “wrong” can lead to some fun culinary discoveries.

I didn’t know that the dish “sudado de pescado” was supposed to be served as a soup, so I didn’t add as much liquid as is normally done when I first made it. Turns out my husband and kids like it better my way, when it’s served alongside rice instead of in a tureen.

15. Frank
    October 8th, 2011 @ 02:17

I think I’ll give it a try and whip us up a meal of which. I totally have to agree with you, the ingredients are simple and you could just find on a local grocery store. Thanks for sharing!

October 8th, 2011 @ 13:48

Hope you enjoy it!

17. October Americas feast « Latitudinal Cuisine Geneva
    October 24th, 2011 @ 09:39

[...] Empanadas (insert practically any country in South America, most claim empanadas as their own!) Lomo saltado with ocopa sauce (Peru) Ceviche (Peru) Caribbean salad (Dominican Republic) Pumpkin pie (USA) [...]

18. Lloyd
    November 3rd, 2011 @ 08:29

I prefer chicken over beef. But would the dish turn out as delicious or would you recommend making this recipe with beef only?
    Lloyd´s last blog post ..Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe updated Wed Oct 19 2011 1:17 am CDT

November 3rd, 2011 @ 21:29

Absolutely you can make it with chicken. Just do it the same as you would with any stir fry.

20. George
    December 23rd, 2011 @ 07:21

Can you just deep fry the potatoes? My Peruvian friends just deep fry everything. No joke. Everything.

December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:55

Yeah, there’s not reason not to – you’re just making french fries.

22. Krista
    January 22nd, 2012 @ 16:33

Thank you so much for making this blog! I’ve been in love with Peruvian food ever since high school and I CANNOT find any good recipes online that come out tasting/looking like the great dishes that I get at legit Peruvian restaurants. I have enjoyed browsing your website, and I’m anxiously looking forward to my next grocery trip.

January 22nd, 2012 @ 17:58

My pleasure – Provecho!

24. Katherine
    May 30th, 2012 @ 18:00

Thanks! My mother’s side of the family is from Peru and I remember cooking with my grandmother when I was little, this and tallarines verdes being my favorite. Unfortunately she passed way before I could write down the her recipes. Your recipe is delicious and brings me back to my childhood days!

May 30th, 2012 @ 18:44

Thanks so much! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

26. Peru: Serious Food Gaining Global Popularity – Digital Insider
    June 13th, 2012 @ 13:44

[...] Lomo Saltado is a good example of the cultural mix. Beef strips are marinated in soy sauce, vinegar, and spices, then stir-fried with tomatoes, yellow peppers, and red onions. It’s typically served with cut potatoes that resemble thick french fries, and with rice. [...]

27. Hanako
    September 10th, 2012 @ 18:17

Muchisimas Graciassssssssssss

September 12th, 2012 @ 13:49

De nada! ;)

29. HMcH1
    December 17th, 2012 @ 22:56

The first time I really tried to cook Peruvian food, this was the site that I came to to understand the recipe! So this is where I’d like to forward you a Reader Appreciation Award. Thanks for your ever useful, ever interesting blog on life in Lima and Peru. http://parrotsonthepowerline.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/sharing-the-love/

30. AC Silver
    February 11th, 2013 @ 09:58

I did try this but it went a little wrong. I’m not going to be defeated however and try again !!

March 4th, 2013 @ 20:10

Oh no! What went wrong with it, maybe I can help you out?

32. Susan
    February 20th, 2014 @ 16:54

I lived in Peru for two years…I loved the Peruvian food…Lomo Saltado, empanadas, papas relleno, Chupe De Camarrones, and especialy the Peruvian version of Ceviche…I have the Ceviche recipe down pat..but wish I could find a recipe for papas relleno..I think the difference is the Peruvian style potato that I can’t find in the U.S. (seems like the Peruvian staple potato contains more starch than our U.S. potato)

February 20th, 2014 @ 23:07

I’ve got a recipe for Papas Rellenas here – http://mylifeinperu.com/2011/01/27/papa-rellena-peruana/ – If you’re having trouble getting the potatoes to stay together, you can add a little bit of flour to make them “stickier” – I used to do it all the time when I made potato pancakes at home.