Posted on | January 19, 2011 | 4 Comments
Summer is my favorite time in Lima. It’s been cold and foggy for so long and didn’t really start getting sunny until about two weeks ago, yet I’m already hearing people complaining about the heat – even though the daily high is only about 77F!
Whether you feel like it’s hot out there or not, there’s no denying that there’s a big bright sun out there – quite a change after 8 months of fog and cloud. So if you’re looking for things you can do to help you get out and enjoy the wonderful Lima summer, here are some ideas.
- Go for a tandem parasail – If you’ve been to Miraflores or Barranco, you’ve surely seen the paragliders flying up over the cliffs on the beach. Join them! It doesn’t take any experience – just head down to the “paraport” near the Parque del Amor and you’ll find plenty of folks who will take you for a tandem trip through the Lima skies. Feel the cool sea breeze on your face while you get up above all the hubbub of the city. For more info on prices and who to contact, see Paragliding in Lima.
- Head to the Magical Water Circuit – If you haven’t been to the Parque de la Reserva in central Lima, summer is the perfect time to go! The park is home to Lima’s Circuito del Agua, an amazing collection of 13 fountains that dance to a programmed light and sound show. The shows don’t start until after the sun goes down, but the park opens at 4pm. That means you can escape the hot sun by relaxing in the shade while you people watch, or jump in to one of the “interactive” fountains to really cool down.
- Go to a Movie – Perhaps a bit obvious, but since summer in Lima starts in December, we get all the great holiday movies now! And when it’s really hot outside, nothing is nicer than sitting inside a darkened theater with a cold soda – the movie houses are one of the few places in Lima you count on to be have air-conditioning.
- Catch a Wave and Learn to Surf – Sure the ocean water at the beach in the city proper might be a little dirty, but Lima is a great place to learn to surf. There are several places on the Malecon that provide boards, wetsuits and instruction. Once you’ve got the basics under your belt, head to the south of the city where the water is cleaner and the waves are gnarly! Get more information at Surfing in Lima.
- Tour the City in a Double Decker Bus – Hot, muggy night got you down? The MiraBus (or MiraTour) tour bus company has an “Illuminated City” tour that is wonderful in the summer when the skies are clear and the air a bit warmer. Ride in the open top of the bus to catch the breeze while you enjoy seeing the historic city center in a completely different ‘light’! The tour even includes a stop for drinks and sandwiches.
So there you go, five things you can do in Lima to cool down when the summer sun is sweltering. Even if you consider 75 degrees sweltering. 😀
What do you like to do in Lima to get out of the heat?
Expat Women Blog Directory