Crema Volteada

Posted on | April 27, 2011 | 7 Comments

Leche Flan

Image via Wikipedia

Crema volteada is a dessert made with eggs, milk, sugar and spices. In many other countries it goes by the name of flan, but Peru likes to be different with things. ;)

It’s called “volteada”, which basically means “turned upside down” – and that’s how it is served. It’s baked with a syrupy layer at the bottom of the dish, and then flipped out upside down onto the plate so that the bottom syrup becomes a topping.

The dish is actually very similar to a creme brulee, the difference being that in crema volteada, the caramel topping is syrupy or soft- in creme brulee, it’s hardened to a thin, crispy shell. (my very fave dessert, by the way)

Egg custard dishes are cooked in a bath. That means that you need to have two dishes, one larger than the other. The custard mixture goes in the smaller dish. The small dish then sits in the larger dish, which is then filled with hot water so that it goes  halfway to three-quarters up the side of the smaller dish.  This prevents the egg mixture from getting to hot and more evenly distributes the heat – basically, to help it cook more evenly and to prevent the formation of bubbles in the mixture.

There are some variations that include fruits or other additions, but today we’re just going to stick with the basics.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cans of evaporated milk
  • 2 cans of condensed milk
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Make a syrup by cooking the water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook it until the mixture turns a golden brown and thickens enough to start sticking to the spoon.
  3. Put the syrup into your casserole (or into ramekins), making sure that the entire bottom is covered and dribbling some up the sides. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together with a whisk or a hand mixer.
  5. Carefully pour the egg mixture in to your baking dish or ramekins.
  6. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the mixture has set.

Remove the custard from the water immediately so that it can start cooling. Place in the refrigerator and once it is very cool, you can remove it from the pan and “voltear” it for serving.

This video is a different recipe (it uses skim milk, so it’s lower calorie – I haven’t tried it yet, but think I will!)  but I wanted to include it to show you the different steps. If you aren’t experienced in the kitchen, you may think this is an advanced recipe, what with making syrups and cooking in water baths. I don’t want you to be afraid to try this recipe! It’s really much simpler than it sounds, and I think watching the video will show you just how easy it is.

Comments

7 Responses to “Crema Volteada”

1. Johanna Coronado
    April 27th, 2011 @ 13:35

Oh!!! So good!! I want it now! :P

2. Kent Ryan
    April 28th, 2011 @ 05:05

“Oh!!! So good!! I want it now!”hahaha. yah..

In some countries, I think its called leche flan if I’m not mistaken..

Do you know the kind of diet where it can be categorized? Just asking.. like high calorie,low fat diet.. like that..

By the way thanks about this post.. might wanna try this out.. keep it coming…
    Kent Ryan´s last blog post ..Reverse Phone Lookup – How to Reverse Lookup a Phone Number To Find the Owner

3. Karla
    April 28th, 2011 @ 08:01

When I cook mine I only use the egg yolks. It’s more creamy that way because its the whites that make plumps.
    Karla´s last blog post ..Original Canon CLI-8 Four Color Pack

April 28th, 2011 @ 10:21

@Jo – I know, after I finished writing this, I decided it was time to cook some – but I think I’ll wait ’til the kids are gone for the weekend.. more for me!

@Kent – it’s def high calorie, high fat!

@Karla – Yes, that’s why I only use 2 whole eggs, and the rest yolks. Just make sure it beaten really well.

5. Karla
    April 28th, 2011 @ 23:13

Hehe. Besides, my different use of ingredient is due to tradition. My mom always watches me when I cook especially when I make arroz de valenciana. The recipes I use have been passed down from genarations to generations.
    Karla´s last blog post ..Original Canon CLI-8 Four Color Pack

6. Yvette
    September 3rd, 2011 @ 16:23

Hi

I am going to Cajamara, Peru as expat, I am want to know. How is the life. They have good markets, as the States, can you find internet conectivity at home, how is the mobile communication?

September 3rd, 2011 @ 21:51

I haven’t been to Cajamarca, so I really can’t say. It’s a mid-sized town, and I imagine they do have some supermarkets, but I also imagine that there will be lots of things that are unavailable there that you might be used to in the stores at home. You should have no trouble getting internet connection at home, but I don’t know how mobile is there. I’d recommend going to the forums at expatperu.com