Posted on | August 15, 2011 | 4 Comments
I’ve become a total addict to Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals. I absolutely love the way he uses natural ingredients – most of which are pretty easy for me to find or substitute here – and makes delicious foods that have real flavors.
The other night I was watching and he made these fried cocktail potatoes. It was love at first site for me! One of the things I hate about making homefries is the time spent over the potatoes peeling and slicing them up into sticks. But these! Adorable little mini potatoes, just wash them and you’re ready to start cooking! It couldn’t be easier – and they were absolutely perfect for our Saturday afternoon cookout.
This recipe made enough for a side dish for 3 people, so adjust your potato usage accordingly.
- 1 lb baby cocktail potatoes
- oil for frying – about 2 tbsp
How To Do It:
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a slow boil, cook until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, let them sit for a minute to dry.
- While the potatoes dry, put vegetable oil of your choice (I like soy bean!) in a large frying pan or skillet. Heat to medium high heat. You don’t need a lot of oil here, we aren’t deep-frying – just enough to liberally cover the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully add the potatoes to avoid oil splashage. Toss them around a bit to coat with the oil.
- Using a potato masher or the bottom of a large glass, carefully smash the potatoes. Don’t completely mash them, just press down enough to cause the skin to burst and the potato to slightly flatten.
- Toss the potatoes about occasionally to get them fried golden on both sides.
- Salt to taste before serving.
These come out so delicious – soft on the inside with the crisp, crackly fried skin on the outside. Try using your favorite seasoned salt instead of plain salt, or toss with a bit of cayenne for an extra kick!
We ate these up so fast, I forgot to take pictures – they were that good!
Expat Women Blog Directory