Posted on | July 23, 2012 | 3 Comments
Yes – it’s another delicious quinoa recipe! Between me needing to lose (more than a few) pounds, my husband worrying about his cholesterol and my kid turning into super athlete, we’re trying to make sure that everything we put in our mouths is healthy – and quinoa certainly fits that bill! This recipe also includes beans, boosting the nutritional value.
I’m not usually hip to posting all the nutritional info of my recipes, but this is just so impressive, I had to share it – for under 300 calories a serving, you’ve got almost 13 gms of protein and more than 10 gms of dietary fiber! And for the ladies, you know how hard it is to get enough iron – this has over 25% of your daily requirements. So let’s get to it! (I adapted this from a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com to fit my own tastes)
Quinoa with Black Beans – 4 servings
What You Need:
- 3/4 cup Quinoa (well rinsed)
- 1-1/2 cup chicken stock (or water for vegan)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 can black beans (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup of corn kernels (a small can or use fresh)
- 1 tbsp chili seasoning
How You Do It:
- Put the quinoa and chicken stock (or broth or water) into a medium saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer it covered until all the liquid is absorbed – about 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat your oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onion and garlic, and saute together until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beans, the corn and the chili seasoning, mix together.
- When the quinoa has finished cooking, add it to the rest of the ingredients and mix it all together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
There are SO many things you can do with this recipe – I’m thinking of adding shredded chicken or lean ground beef and use it as a burrito filling (whole wheat tortillas!).
This is so easy to cook and so yummy. If you’ve never had quinoa, I really encourage you to give it a try! It has a really nice, nutty flavor, like brown rice.
If you like this post, remember to like it and share it!
Expat Women Blog Directory